Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Confession...

I have to confess. I did the unthinkable...
the bad thing parents of missionaries are NOT supposed to do...

I called Rachel.

I have her phone number from Mother's Day.

I called to tell her we didn't get an e-mail today.
I wanted to be sure she was ok.
I had thought of a million things that could be wrong...
I was worried... very, very worried...
We talked for less than 30 seconds.

She's fine.
She says she sent an e-mail and doesn't know what happened.

There... I feel better... but I still want my e-mail!
I've been thinking too...
If this was some kind of spiritual test for me to see if I could endure the hardship
of not hearing from Rachel for two weeks...
If this was my test of obedience to mission rules...
I've failed.
I admit it.
I know of parents who don't get letters from their missionaries
for weeks on end and they endure... they faithfully wait...
Not me.
I might be a failure... but at least I know she's ok.

2 comments:

Diane said...

Michelle, Michelle, Michelle,
What were you thinking?? I know what you were thinking - what has happened to my girl?! I don't know if I could have withstood the temptation myself.
by the way - I love her haircut!
Love, Diane

Camille said...

ha ha...I don't think I've ever seen a prouder Missionary mom! (Proud in a good way, of course) What a fantastic idea- to document her mission this way. You do know about Blurb books, right? That would be perfect! Its been fun to read about her adventures.

Keep it up, Rachel is one lucky girl to have a mom that loves and misses her so much! (no judging here about the phone call! I probably would have done the same!)