Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I Met an Old Man Who Stole My Heart

i met an old man last week who stole my heart. i asked him if i could sit next to him while we were waiting for a bus and he started talking to me. he was trying his hardest to speak in english, even though i was speaking german to him. haha. he was like 80 something years old and was so funny. he just melted my heart! after a little while he looked at his watch and said my bus is coming soon. and i said, hey mine too. and he asked the 57 bus? and i said yes! and he said do you live there? and i said nope i live here in the middle of town. and he asked well why are you going to mainz-kastel? and i said we're going to visit someone. and he said me?! and i said if you want! haha. we got off at the same stop too. he said that he didn't think it was chance that we talked and ended up on the same bus and the same stop. he knew we were missionaries but wasn't really interested in our message. he said his name was Rolf. it was wierd i felt like we knew eachother when we were talking. l ike i was talking to an old friend or something. it was a really neat experience. i almost started crying (seriously) when we had to say goodbye. i was so sad. i'll probably never see him again. but he was so darling and funny. i'll always remember him.

well last week as you know i did a split with the frankfurt sisters. it was great!!! we switched wednesday night and so the next morning i went running because there's a track near the apartment and it didn't hurt my knee! and then the whole day was just great. we had a street preach in Offenbach and sister ranzenberger was there!!!!!! so i've been struggling my entire mission with talking to everyone and Ballard contacting (that's when you talk to people while you're going places like on buses and trains and such... elder ballard talked a lot about it a few years ago). none of my companions have really done it and so i've struggled to know what to say, etc. not like that's a good exuse for not doing it but anyway. sister goldthorpe was so good at it. and so i studied like everything she did so that i could do it too. since i've been back i've been working on it. no success stories yet but i'm still trying! anyway i learned a lot on the split and it was so nice and relaxing. it was a great day!!!

Jess: i couldn't look up the picture you attached because i dont have facebook and you have to have facebook to look it up! i haven't gotten your package yet either. did you send it to my apartment or the mission office? if you sent it to the mission office i'll should get it on friday because we're having zone conference and that's the only time i get mail from the office. anyway it was great to hear from you and read your funny stories! miss you tons!! love ya!

Jameson: hey no worries i understand that you're busy! things are going alright. didn't you say a few weeks ago that you sent me something? did you send it to my apartment or the mission office? i only get stuff from the office at zoneconferences. lame. unless one of the elders from the office decides to be awesome and bring me my mail. but only when i get him cookies. haha. its nice to have friends in the office! hope you have an awesome week and get more hours at work!!

well my birthday is next week. i'm not going to lie i'm a little homesick. this is like my first birthday when i won't be home. and as a missionary your birthday really doesn't mean anything. nothing special happens. except that i'm in germany. that's cool

Ok friends and family... Rachel's birthday is November 22nd and she will be turning 22 years old. If you e-mail her before Nov. 18th, she'll get it before her birthday. I know she'd love extra e-mails. Thanks!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sister Doty, could you send me Rachel's apartment address, it has been awhile since I've actually sent mail to her (we usually just email) so I'm wondering if its the same. I have the cutest birthday present to send her!!! I can't wait to see what she says!!

Love,
Meg